Thursday, August 02, 2012

Sour Cream Enchiladas

I've been craving enchiladas.  Real ones, not the low fat version.  Don't get me wrong, I can hang with the low fat version if I have to, but there is one thing I hate about the low fat version.  The tortillas are not fried and this causes a major issue, soggy tortillas.  They soak up the sauce and the liquid of the filling, and become mush.  In the interest of health I can usually make this sacrifice, since I have not come up with any other means of remedying the issue other than frying the tortillas. 
Well today, I wanted to make the long version of chicken enchiladas and soggy tortillas were not going make it worth my while.  Not that it is an overwhelming amount of work, but it does take some time. I decided the way to feel good about frying the tortillas would be to fry them in coconut oil.  This is an ingredient that I am constantly trying to get into my body for many health reasons, so even though it raises the fat count, it's a good fat.  I used organic coconut oil, which is flavorless, don't use extra virgin coconut oil for this dish, it is has too much coconut flavor. If this isn't your thing you can always heat the tortillas in the microwave or wrap them in foil and heat them for a few minutes in the oven to get them soft.
As always please note that my measurements are approximate, I rarely measure anything when I cook my own recipes, so adjust to your taste.  Also although I feel this is my recipe, I should give credit to the original recipe that I morphed my version from over time. It can be found in The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook Copyright 1980, on page 270.  It used canned chicken and mushrooms and not nearly as many other ingredients, but it is the basis for my recipe.
 
Laura's Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
 
Ingredients:

1 whole chicken
1 each onion -- Chopped
4 each garlic cloves -- smashed
Water
2 each bay leaves, whole
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 each red onion -- chopped
8 ounces mushrooms -- chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces canned chili peppers -- minced and mild
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
16 ounces fat free sour cream
16 ounces light sour cream
1/2 cup salsa verde
20 each corn tortilla
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup cheddar cheese, lowfat -- shredded
 
Prepare the chicken:
 
  • Add chicken, onion, garlic and following seasonings to a large pot.  Cover with water.  over med high heat bring to a boil, then cover pot and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
  • Use two forks to pull chicken meat off the bone and shred in medium size pieces.
  • Return everything except the meat back to the pot, add more water and simmer longer for stock to use at a later time. After awhile, strain the broth and freeze it in soup containers for other recipes.
 
Prepare the filling:
 
  • Sauté the onion in olive oil until slightly soft.  Add mushrooms and sauté a few minutes longer.
  • Add the shredded chicken, 1 lade full of chicken stock, canned chilies, chili powder, salt, garlic, powder, and pepper to mixture.  Remove from heat and stir in about 1/2 cup of each type of sour cream.
 
Assemble the enchiladas:
 
  • Blend remaining sour cream with salsa verde.  Spray large casserole dish with nonstick spray and then spoon in 1 cup of so of sour cream mixture to cover the bottom of the pan.
  • Heat Coconut oil in small skillet over med heat.
  • Once oil is hot, fry tortillas one at in oil for 1 or two seconds on each side, put the tortilla on a plate and spoon 1/2 cup or so of chicken mixture onto the tortilla.
  • Roll up the tortilla and place seam side down in the casserole dish.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.
  • Top the enchiladas with the remaining sour cream mixture and then sprinkle with cheese.
  • Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes or until bubbly.  If you don't want to cook it right away, cover the pan with foil and refridgerate it.  Pull it out about an hour before you are ready to cook it and then cook for about 20-30 minutes, uncover it for the last 10 minutes.

 
 

No comments: