Friday, August 03, 2012

Seafood Stew


I've been thinking about getting this blog up and running on a more regular basis.  I cook most days of the week, some tried and true recipes and some new ideas.  Many times I am too busy to stop and write it down. Lately though, I have been trying to snap pictures as I go along, that way when I do have the time (and/or the motivation) to document the recipe I have a picture to use.  Of course, my pics are the iphone variety, sometimes glitzed up with a trip through Instagram, instead of the fancy food styling photos found on many of today's food blogs, but they will have to do.

Even though I am a little of this and a little of that type of cook with a loosey goosey measuring system, it's good for me to document my recipes. One, if I do it in Mastercook, it allows me to get an idea of the nutritional analysis and two, because it makes it easier to plan meals and filter the ingredients to a grocery list.   Planning meals = saving money.

So today I went through my on hand photos and found this one of a seafood stew that a made a few weeks back. This dish is a hearty favorite, it's one of those catch all dishes that you can throw anything into.  My version has evolved from a basic tomato base stew with fish in it, to a heartier, creamy version utilizing corn, potatoes and coconut milk. The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it mostly from items in your pantry or freezer, plus throw in a few items from the fridge that need to be used and you have a great meal.



Seafood Stew

Serving Size: 8


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- pressed
1 each jalapeno pepper -- minced
2 medium potatoes -- 1/2" cubes
1 ear corn
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
15 ounces chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces cod
1 pound shrimp -- shells removed
10 ounces clams, canned -- undrained
13.5 ounces coconut milk

·         In large pot, sauté onions in oil until they begin to soften, add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté 1 to 2 minutes longer.

·         Cut the corn off the cob and add it to pot with the potatoes. Add the tomatoes thru the black pepper and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender.

·         Cut the fish into large pieces and add to the pot, cook until it begins to break apart.

·         Add shrimp and clams and cook 5-6 minutes.

·         Add coconut milk and cook until heated through.

·         Serve with salad and crusty bread.





As calculated By Mastercook. Per Serving: 376 Calories; 18g Fat (41.6% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 864mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.




No comments: