Sunday, August 09, 2009

Udon Soup Recipe

This a fabulous recipe that I found on the Kittens in the Kitchen blog. I don't use the edamame, but follow it otherwise for the most part. It's really fast, easy and Yummy! Yes, I am making soup when it's almost 100 degrees outside.


This is a direct copy and paste from the original site.
Serves 2 big bowls, or four as a starter!

1" piece grated ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tom yum paste - eek, I cheated! You could probably use whatever paste you wanted here - or even none at all, it still has a load of flavour!
1 pt chicken stock
1 pack udon noodles
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 handfuls raw shrimp (apologies for vague quantities - I pulled them out of my box of frozen shrimp in the freezer... doesn't matter anyway - add as much or as little as you fancy! Oh, and I add mine from frozen :)
1 handful shelled edamame beans (see above!)
1/2 bell pepper, diced into large bits
1 small tin of coconut milk
A couple of drops of roasted sesame oil (if you have it... gives a lovely deep flavour)
Light soy sauce, to taste
Lime juice, to taste
shredded scallions, sliced thai chillies and cilantro to garnish!

Par-boil the Noodles...I reckon this gets rid of the starchiness and gives a cleaner soup - but I haven't done a side to side comparison with the same brand of udon, so could possibly be talking out of my proverbial!Put the noodles into a pot of boiling water and simmer for one minute - until they have just lost their brittleness. Drain and rinse under cold water.Prepare the Base...Heat a glug of nut oil in your hot wok and add the ginger, garlic and paste if you're using it and fry for up to a minute, until sizzling! Add the chicken stock and fish sauce and bring to the boil.Bringing it all Together...This bit depends a bit on the cooking time of the udon noodles, and what state the shrimp are in. My shrimp were large and frozen - so I gave them 8 minutes. The udon noodle pack recommended 7-8 minutes, so I chucked em in a couple of minutes after that. The edamame beans and pepper went in 3 minutes before the end, along with the coconut milk.Serve!Use a pasta server to scoop out a portion of noodles into each bowl, top with the remaining shrimp and veg, then ladle over the remaining broth.Add a drop of sesame oil on to each.Serve with the scallions, chillies and cilantro, soy sauce and lime juice on the side, to allow each eater to adjust to taste!

No comments: